Friday, June 9, 2017

Twitter and Facebook

Facebook:

The last couple of days I have been surfing through facebook and looking at different library pages, and found that most of the pages are used for the same thing. Facebook pages are used to update patrons of coming events, or to make announcements in regards to the out come of past activities. Through facebook, libraries also hightlight the various services that they have available for their patrons. For example, I saw one library who had images of students attending TECH Tuesday, there for giving patrons who have not yet attended a sneak peak of what they should expect. I also noticed that library facebook pages are also a wonderful way to promote book fairs. I came across many pages who posted images of thier bookfairs in progress, creating a lot of hype in the comments below the images. I loved how some of the library pages gave tech advice on devices that they had available through their programs. I know this is one thing that I would value, especially since technology is changing every day.

I feel that having a facebook page for your library has a lot of advantages. It allows you to always be connected to your patrons, and gives you imidiate feedback on how they may have felt about certain events.The messages (IM) feature on facebook, also allows for librarians to answer any questions a patron may have in reference to information, or a general question about an event. Facebook also has a really cool feature, that allows your patrons to rate your library and the programs that take place in it. Patrons are able to write reviews which highlight the parts of your program that they have enjoyed. The only draw back that I see with having a facebook page, is that it opens up the floor for many types of conversations between patrons. A librarian might want to set his or her page up for a particular purpose, but patrons have free rain in the comments area. A librarian needs to also be aware that along with poitive comments, there may also be some negative ones.

Twitter:

When it comes to twitter, I would like start by stating that I am definetly a newby in this sector. I started a twitter account this last August because it was required at a tech conference that I attended to participate in some of the activities. I kept the account open, but never really used it until this past week. I like the user interface that this social network has, it is pretty easy to navigate, even for beginners.

I started my twitter journey exploring various ed tech leaders, to take a glimpse into what interest they may have when it comes to technology and our world. I discovered that although they are all different, they are all fundamentally interested in the same thing, which is tech and education.

Jim Lerman's page was really interesting, because I noticed he was really interested in a lot of the sites that had to do with virtual reality. He also posted advice on podcasts, and instagram for the classroom. I loved one of his rescoopes that talked about mine craft and how we need to turn our students into creators. Below you will find an example of one of his tweets.

What Place Do AR And VR Have In Learning? 10 Key Points From The eLearning Network’s Event via

Linda Braun although still interested in tech and education, her focus was on the net neutrality battle, and how to use technology is used in education. She had tweets about newsletters that would keep the reader updated on connected learning. Below are some her tweets.

  Retweeted
The net neutrality battle has serious implications for libraries. Let the FCC know why you care about

  Retweeted
How to Make Peer Mentoring Work, 3 Provocative Talks on Tech & Learning, , Minecraft Camp Opp, & More

The Silicon Valley Billionaires Remaking America’s Schools, via

David Warlick's twitter page was about the ariel photography he seems to enjoy, and his political views on education.  Below is one of the tweets that I really found interesting as an educator and a future librarian. It talks about how we are not letting our children be creative, and we are burning them out with tests. David Warlick has many political views, but I love how he adds humor to get his point across.

Jobs will go to those who can do what machines can't. So why do schools make children behave like machines?

My state is facing a frightening teacher shortage. To blame is the Cuckoo Party that runs our state government:

Kathy Schrock's page is definetly one of the pages that I would go to, if I were interested in getting  tech advice. She has many tweets where she gives updates on many programs, and even fills the reader with program uses they may have not known about. Along with her tech advice Kathy Schrock is also a promoter of creativity in the classroom.

Just found out Alexa can now interact with my iCloud calendar! w00t! Works great!

New Kathy’s Katch blog post: Promoting inventiveness in the classroom. 6/17.

I think my favorite twitter page of all was the Daring Librarian's Gwyneth Jones, she has a lot of cool tweets that draw the reader in. She gives tech advice, and is also interested in creativity in the classroom. I loved one of her tweets that included a video that had alot of truty behind it. I have also included something that she retweeted, because I belive as educators, in the end we just have to do what is best for our students.


  Retweeted
Sometimes asking for permission is not the way.....just beg for forgiveness after you've done what works best for kids.
If you get a chance I would encourage every one of you to visit the twitter pages of all these facinating people. They are paving the way for new ideas, and fighting so that they can find a place in our classrooms.

 

2 comments:

  1. I like how you made the point that patrons can comment positively or negatively on Facebook. Having a plan ahead of time on how to engage with those negative comments needs to be considered so one is not taken off guard and able to respond in a professional manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought up a good point about the IM (Instant Message) feature on Facebook. I think students might like the ability to ask a question personally and get direct feedback from the librarian.

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection

The image to the left of the screen was me at the start of this semester. I was really nervous about being successful in this class, beca...